If bone broth isn’t really your kind of thing, then you might like to try a potassium vegetable broth. Vegetable broths have been used for hundreds of years as a rich mineral source. During most wars and famines people survived on broth. Vegetable broth is renown for being gut-healing and immune boosting. It is also used for cleansing and detoxifying the body. The mineral rich broth assists with detoxification and removing toxins from our cells. Some people also find vegetable broth useful in post birth and post op recovery as it is rich in essential minerals, such as potassium, calcium and iron, and is easy to digest.
Choose organic whenever possible.
Improve Skincare Complexion
By cleansing the body and assisting gut-healing it is possible to indirectly improve your skin. A simple detox can assist you with restoring a glowing complexion. Your skin naturally radiates when your body is well and balanced.
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks roughly chopped
- 3 beetroots roughly chopped
- 3 turnips
- 4 leaves of kale
- Piece of ginger
- 2-4 garlic cloves
- 1 packed of dried shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- filtered water
Herbs from the garden:
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 bunch sage
- 1 bunch oregano
- Cut the vegetable roots into large pieces.
- Place all the vegetables and shiitake mushrooms into the slow cooker and fill it with filtered water.
- Slowly bring to a boil in the slow cooker. Allow to cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Add all the garden herbs and allow to cook for another 2 hours on low heat.
- Cool and strain the finished potassium broth into glass containers in the refrigerator, reheating small amounts as needed. *Add 1 tbsp of whey to each cup to boost the mineral assimilation.
- The broth lasts 4-5 days in the refrigerator so freeze whatever you think you will not use within this time.
The cooked and strained veggies can be eaten as they provide a good source of fibre. However, keep in mind, most of the minerals will be in the broth. So you may choose to feed the cooked vegetables to the your worms, chooks or dogs.